Friday, June 25, 2010

How to effect change

Ok ok, I know I'm supposed to be using this time to get some of my research done, but I've got too much on my mind. Scold me all you want, it won't make a difference. :) During yesterday's discussion the idea of "invisible whiteness" came up. Invisible whiteness is the notion that we (as members of the Caucasian variety) don't classify white as being a race when we are talking about racial inequities in various community systems. Basically we do a great job of breaking up people of color into various sub groups and ethnicities, but then we fail to recognize our white race, instead just calling ourselves "other". This leads to unintentionally setting "us" as the standard when talking about flaws in a system. Interesting thought right?
I've been thinking a lot about that discussion yesterday where we looked at how to effect change within a community in regards to local and healthy foods. The article we read spoke of incorrect approaches, which usually involve a missionary approach which only alienated the community in which a person is trying to work with. It's the same kind of thought we had previously talked about in my training to become a service break trip leader last year. The difference is as simple as helping versus serving. Helping a community implies that without you they are unable to accomplish the same task and that they owe you something for your work. Serving, on the flip side, implies that you are working with the community and serving them as a outside member with an interest in the community. This approach shifts our mindsets and makes it easier for us to consider and accept alternative methods and approaches to solving problems. But this is only the beginning. There is much left to be discovered when it comes to using the community to correct issues whether they be racial, social, economical or all three, but hopefully by the end of the summer I will be a little closer to figuring out how to rally and build communities around the idea of change.

For now, I will sip my organic and fair trade certified iced Chai from Global Village coffee shop and get back to my research. I am not a fan of labels and niche markets, but the Chai is certainly very tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment