Thursday, June 17, 2010

5am is...beautiful



My day began today at 5am, well actually 4:30, but who is really keeping track at this point. Why on earth would I get up this early when I have the chance to sleep in till 9:00?! The reason I get up at this hour which the sun hasn't yet skimmed the East Coast of the beach is those pairs of beautiful doe-like eyes of the Jersey and Holstein cows at the dairy unit. Yes, today I went for the 5am milking at the dairy which was a cool experience in more than just one way. Something about being up at that hour is really invigorating and a great way to start your day (provided you get more sleep than I did that night) and watching the first sunlight hit the pastures as the cows wander back out into the field makes you appreciate the morning more. I also got to interact with one of the inmates this morning in the milking parlor and he was super friendly and much more loquacious than the others. He even smiled :) And as usual I got covered in very runny cow feces, but strangely enough the part that bothered me was when I got too wet from trying to wash some of it off. Funny how that works.

No comments:

Post a Comment